Members have been looking to UKWA for guidance on the subject of wearing headsets in the warehousing during the COVID-19 pandemic. Based on HSE guidelines, our advice is as follows:
- The issue of headsets to individuals is strongly recommended
- If the sharing from a pool of headsets is unavoidable, then each operator should be issued with their own personal foam ear pads and voice tubes
- New and unused spares should always be available so operators who have forgotten or lost theirs, or worn them out, do not endure a shift with an incomplete headset
- In any event staff should be trained in headset hygiene and given the time and the materials to complete a hygiene programme
- Headsets should be cleaned regularly using hot water and disinfectant (during the COVID-19 crisis this is recommended at all shift breaks)
- In conjunction with UKWA’s associate members who specialise in the provision of headset equipment, during the crisis UKWA can arrange webinars covering the safe use of headsets for existing staff and/or the induction of new staff
For support on any other issues relating to warehouse and logistics operations throughout this difficult period, please don’t hesitate to contact us.